If you are thinking of going into business for yourself, you might want to consider franchising in the computer industry. Experimac recommends those looking out for computer franchise opportunities to match their expertise and passion with the available businesses.
Opportunities Worth Looking At
Since the 1980s there has been an explosion of types of businesses for anyone who wants to go into computers. There are sales, repair, support, teaching and tutorial, and even ghostwriting services for anyone who wants to venture into these businesses. The following are some of the businesses which have a good future in the long term:
1. Computer Repair and Support Services. Laptops and desktops have a minimum lifespan of 3 years. Hard disks are expected to have a lifespan of 5 years. Monitors usually last longer than five years. 10-year-old dot matrix printers are still in use long after their warranties. As long as it is cheaper to have a computer or a part repaired, then users will not buy new ones. Having a computer repair shop in the neighbourhood is a great business to start up.
2. Desktop Publishing Business. Desktop publishing
may seem like a lost art. However, there are still organizations and corporations which depend on contractual help for their newsletters and brochures. There will be a demand for desktop publishing personnel as long as people still print flyers, brochures and newsletters for manual distribution.
3. Internet Marketing Services. This is considered as a passive income source. If you can create a website which will sell a product on its own, you can tweak it every so often to perform better. Buyers will drop by, and orders are forwarded to the supplier, leaving you with affiliate income.
4. Web Design and Programming. Even in the age of social media, web design and development is still relevant. Companies and people still want to have their website where their products and services are in view. It is easy to learn if you have the aptitude and passion for working online.
5. Pre-Owned Computer Sales. Not everyone can afford new things. With some brands, they have products which last a very long time. Some of these brand names also have good name recall and resell value. You can create a niche in your community selling outstanding products from a particular brand.
There are existing franchises for each of the opportunities above. If you want to get into the computer industry, franchising is one way to limit the risks and increase the chances of success.